That Time I Took Out A College Loan (Bold & Beautiful)

I’ve been carrying student loans for a long time. Navient is the single most stressful thing in my life. I think about Navient every week like someone shadowing me. I talk about Navient to my husband all the time that he can’t wait until I’m done with them. 

I personify Navient like it’s an enemy trying to hurt me. However, it’s not like I didn’t know I was borrowing the money. I don’t know where I stand on student loan forgiveness. If loans are forgiven, then do all colleges become free? Without making colleges free then borrowing will continue and future generation of borrowers will want their loans forgiven. The only way to win is to tell everyone that this is a one time thing. What about the people who paid off their loans on their own, will they be happy for those who get their debt erased like magic? 


I do not know where I stand for many reasons and one reason is this country takes everything personally and this is another executive order that they will call political instead of the human thing to do. I will pay Navient one day and when I write them my last check, it better be the last time they send me an email or letter. Take me off your list Navient because it’s over. I don’t know how many people dislike that loan company like I do, but they get their monthly amount from me. Their website is so complex to navigate and I don’t bother calling them these days. 

If they didn’t decide to add interests to my loan, it would go down at a percentage that gave me hope.  How about you freeze the interests on all loans for 10 years instead of just throwing money at a problem that’s so complex? Does this country have unlimited money? And I’m a huge Bernie fan. But I also know that the way this country is setup is so layered that any little change might break it. 

A vaccine company is allowed to sell stocks for instance. There is something wrong with profit and medicine being mixed. Human beings are products to sell. The country is about making profit everywhere. So we need to think about how forgiving student loans would impact stocks, our relationship with other countries, etc. Is there anyone smart enough to do that kind of math? 

Whenever a politician with big dreams for the country comes along, I start dreaming with them, then I wonder how much controversy student loan forgiveness will cause and I wake up from my dream and life becomes real.

Comments