What's Up?

Obviously, blog writing is not gonna be my be-all-to-end-all, being that what I tend to write about is generally personal and revealing; i.e. boring to most since I'm not yet a celebrity or historically important. That does not mean I'm contemplating shutting this down, as there are a few people who have loyally followed our updates, but I am thinking of making some tweaks here and there. I won't tell you what they are, but they will come. I hate being unproductive, so during my down-time professionally, I will make updates as soon as I can.

In the meantime, I will share with you that I've been seriously considering leaving the states altogether; with the economy not benefiting me professionally and personally, plus my ever-growing intolerance with stupidity and greed, and lastly with being subjected to dispiriting attitudes around and above, I'm planning on taking a soul-searching trip somewhere off-shores for a little while; perhaps Ghana or South Africa, perhaps France or Spain, perhaps Japan, or perhaps (gasp) Havana, maybe even Rio. Of course those things won't happen until I get some moolah in place, and the one dispiriting thing that is making me contemplate all this is that I've never been able to put together a whole lot of money that I can take a vacation of any sort and still meet my obligations. Hell, sometimes I can't even meet the obligations. It's not a good life here, that's for sure.

One of my buddies has been in my ear about NOT leaving, because he thinks I'm just trying to escape my problems; it'll be the same no matter where I go. I'm tired of explaining to him that going elsewhere is not to escape, but to discover; that a vacation, sabbatical or otherwise "let's get da hell outta here!" is not a retreat or admission of defeat, but a regrouping to find and put together the tools you need to overcome the obstacles to your goals. The way I see it, I have nothing to lose but my life, and that can easily happen here (NYC) just as anywhere else. But I'm looking outside the system for a chance; L.A. is no better off than NYC in terms of the economy and the foolishness, though the opportunities may still be far more abundant than in New York. I have other friends who, despite the report of a massive exodus of projects from the West Coast, are packing up and leaving here for there, simply because they can't stand it here and they are more inclined to find work there. I think I understand, and if need be I will leave everything behind to find what I need and return like a king.

But that's not the be all to end all. Hollywood is just a pit-stop. The world is where I need to go to satisfy my intellectual curiosity and my emotional well-being. That I still haven't traveled further north than Boston, further south than Atlanta or further west than San Francisco is a travesty I intend to make right. Some people never leave the city they were born in. The travesty is not in that, but the intentions not being met. I intend to travel the world and document what I see or tell stories where I go. If I can't do that, then what's the point?

To that end, I'm starting a photo album here if I can in order to document the nouns I've seen so far. I've seen a lot of things, but in my mind I see them artfully. Maybe it's not realistic, but then again what is real? My mind sees these nouns as an artist would look at a canvas; endless possibilities for a location or a painting, a sketch or a story. Even some things that appear mundane could have appeal if the setting is right; especially if you're seeing it for the very first time.

All I need is jet fuel and a way to earn it. We'll see...

Comments

Mr. OK Jazz said…
You know you got meal and all the guide-book info you you can handle if you make it over here, Chyll..