The Gift of Insight

As I was traipsing through the web trying to figure out how to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, I came across this picture and thought of the implications of it. A Black Santa, after all, can go two ways. But when I read the article that this picture accompanies, I realized that there was a lot more to the picture in itself, and the article goes a long way to inspire readers to look further into the subject of discussion. I hope you take the time to read the whole article, not necessarily today if you want to celebrate, but at some point you should read it, and I hope you may wish to read further.

I will say this; the section the picture refers to reminds me of a school project I and a classmate worked on for one of the school's administrators at DCC. He had a sizable collection of "black memorabilia"; items, relics and antiques relating to the images that prevailed about black people in America in the early 20th century. He was displaying some of them in an exhibit in the art department's gallery, and we were assigned to make a video of the exhibit. We shot some footage and I composed some music collages to accompany the images. He liked the end result well enough, but our teacher was somewhat disappointed. In retrospect, I understand his disappointment because the video did not include interviews or explanations of the articles on exhibit, but I also remember that we had very little time to put a much deeper program together. Sadly, this footage has not survived, but if I were to do this again, I promise it will be quite an interesting documentary.

All together now, "Merry Christmas!!!" (and Free Jolly Jenkins! >;)

Comments