Cartoon Crimmicismm...

I will shortly begin posting my comic strips; I know some have waited with baited breath to see them, and you won't be disappointed. In the meantime, while I'm currently PA'ing on another low-budget feature, I'll be posting some personal analyzes of currently published comic strips, which I will cull from the New York Daily News, as they have the most extensive comics page in NYC (despite the fact they trimmed a whole page and thought no one would notice...)

Now, you might say, "but Chyll, isn't that disingenuous; after all, you're a cartoonist yourself." And you're right in saying so, there's no way around that. However, I hope to be objective enough from a fan's point of view, as I have certainly enjoyed comics longer than I've made them (although the difference is slight, believe it or not.)

I had a mind to do this last year as I hemmed and hawed about building my own site, but I was recently inspired to announce this by recent events in one of my favorite comic strips, For Better or For Worse. Mad props to Lynn Johnston... and who knows, this might turn out to be an important feature down the line, considering there aren't a lot of comic strip critics out there. Film critics, yep, but comic strips, here's my niche >;)

UPDATE:
I was reading the paper on Wednesday when I read that cartoonist Doug Marlette was killed in a car crash on Tuesday, July 10th. Marlette was a prolific editorial cartoonist and creator of the strip, Kudzu, not to mention a Pulitzer Prize winner. One of my teammates will have a fuller perspective and review of the man and his works shortly; I for one say it's a surprising and sad loss to the cartooning community. Rest in Peace.

Comments

Shaun P said…
Chyll, you're awesome. Talk about a quick response!

As for FBOFW, I expected Anthony and Elizabeth to get back together (somehow) ever since we found out Anthony and his ex-wife split. Took darn long enough.

Can't wait to see what its like when she focuses primarily on Michael and his family, seeing as I've in almost the same place in life he is.
Chyll Will said…
Well, it's about time >;) I never thought they should have split, and I was glad to see them agree. What I like the most is how Lynn Johnston toyed with their storyline throughout the years... never soapy or melodramatic, just as real as a cartoon can be. And I identify with Michael career-wise. Can't wait to have that book party >;)